According to science, high blood pressure can harden the arteries, which decreases the flow of blood and oxygen to the heart, leading to heart disease. In a 2015 study conducted by researchers from the University of Nottingham Royal Derby Hospital in the UK, CBD was shown to be a potent vascular relaxant to human arteries, suggesting its potential benefits to dilate blood vessels and increase blood flow. Not only this, CBD oil taken for blood pressure related issues can target the source such as high stress levels and lack of sleep.
Should You Take CBD Oil for High Blood Pressure?
CBD has been shown to possess potential benefits that may help lower blood pressure. It can be useful as CBD can play a major factor in certain issues:
CBD and Blood Flow
According to a study published in the Frontiers in Pharmacology Journal in 2017, the hemodynamic (blood flow) effects of CBD were analysed, with the conclusion that CBD might be used as a potential remedy for cardiovascular disorders, such as hypertension and stroke. However, the study found no evidence that CBD provides similar results under non-stressful conditions.
A study published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology in 2013 has shown how CBD allows blood flow in the vessels to maintain healthy blood pressure. The review has also presented evidence of the positive effects of CBD in the cardiovascular system. Data from the said study illustrate that CBD potentially provides neuroprotective effects, which may help protect the heart against any cardiovascular conditions and stroke.
The findings also suggest that CBD can induce a healthy heart rhythm after an ischemic attack, which is caused by a build-up or blockage in the arteries. Thus, CBD was shown to improve heart performance immediately after a heart attack. Although the results demonstrate that the cardiovascular system is a valid therapeutic target for CBD, the target sites of action for CBD remain to be established for most of the responses.
CBD and Anti-Anxiety
Got anxiety? Can’t sleep? You can thank them for your high BP.
One study which was published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2019, indicated CBD to help in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. Also in a 2019 study published in The Permanente Journal, sleep and anxiety scores were measured in human subjects, and the findings showed that CBD could hold benefits for anxiety-related disorders.
In addition to this, an elevated cortisol level or high stress level may cause a physical stress response in the body that could raise blood pressure. Results from a 1993 study published in the Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research suggested that CBD interferes with cortisol secretion making CBD oil beneficial.
The relaxation response from CBD oil can reduce blood pressure in people with hypertension, according to the results of a study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2018.
CBD as a Vasodilator
As a natural vasodilator, something that promotes the dilation of blood vessels, CBD may help improve positive cardiovascular health by widening the blood vessels to allow smooth blood flow.
CBD’s role was highlighted in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, and randomized crossover study and in that the researchers explored the connection between CBD and a reduction in blood pressure, and they found that a single dose of CBD oil significantly lowered blood pressure in human volunteers, both under stress and at rest.
However, the authors said: “there are no dedicated studies in humans to date, to our knowledge, looking at the effect of CBD on either resting cardiovascular measurement or on the responses to stress, with continuous monitoring of cardiovascular parameters.”
CBD’s as Anti-Inflammatory
Studies conducted by researchers from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine in 2009 also reveal that CBD possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Since inflammation can cause high blood pressure or vice versa, eliminating inflammation may help alleviate high blood pressure. That being said, inflammation may be a symptom of other diseases as well. Thus, leading a healthy lifestyle while using CBD oil is advised.
The Benefits of CBD Oil for High Blood Pressure:
- CBD “is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile,” as the World Health Organization (WHO) states in a critical review.
- CBD’s efficacy as a potential remedy to hypertension-related symptoms has been shown in the numerous studies (stated above).
The Drawbacks of CBD Oil for High Blood Pressure:
- Studies are too limited to determine whether or not CBD is an effective treatment for conditions other than the ones approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Most of the results from blood pressure-related studies done on CBD have been gathered through tests that involve either healthy volunteers or animals, like that of a study done on rats. Therefore, facts cannot be established that the results of previous investigations would be comparable with that of tests involving ill human subjects.
- According to the Mayo Clinic, possible side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth, diarrhea, fatigue, and reduced appetite.
- A lack of regulation makes it difficult to determine whether the CBD gummies, tinctures, patches, balms, and gel caps contain what the product label claims.
- CBD has been shown to alter how the body metabolizes certain medications, as a 2017 research reveals. With results published in the Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research Journal, the research suggests that the combination of CBD with other high blood pressure medications is a big concern for someone who is planning to use CBD for hypertension.
- Results of a study published in the Medicines Journal indicated that the CYP450 family of enzymes is responsible for metabolizing several phytocannabinoids (cannabinoids that exist naturally in the cannabis plant), including CBD. If one is already on high blood pressure medication, taking CBD in combination with the prescribed drug can lower blood pressure too much. Blood pressure that is too low is as bad as blood pressure that is too high as it comes with another set of problems.
It is recommended that speaking with a physician before adding CBD onto the medications that are currently taken. The doctor may want to reduce the dosage strength of the blood pressure prescription before incorporating CBD oil into the daily regimen of an individual.
CBD Oil Vs Usual Treatments for High Blood Pressure
The prescription medications currently available for hypertension are effective but they bring about side effects, which can make the treatment an unpleasant experience. Cannabidiol (CBD), on the other hand, is a natural alternative that has shown to have little side effects, and the side effects of CBD are less common than the effects associated with most pharmaceutical medications.
What’s The Right CBD Oil for High Blood Pressure?
The following factors are essential and must be taken into consideration to ensure the safety and reliability of the CBD products purchased:
- Research on the exact legal stipulations applicable to CBD in the area where it would be purchased and used.
- It’s always vital to look for CBD oil products as certification codes. Several certification authorities approve certain products only after some thorough screening tests.
- Compare company claims about their products’ potency with that of the third-party lab reports.
- Purchase only from legitimate and reliable big brands. The majority of companies that manufacture the best CBD oil products grow their hemp from their farm, or they purchase from licensed hemp producers.
- When buying from an online store, do some research on product reviews first. When buying from a physical store or dispensary, check whether the store is authorized by the government to sell CBD oil for high blood pressure.