The use of product labels is of great importance in terms of increasing brand awareness and highlighting the brand image. You can’t really imagine selling any tangible product without labels. Poor quality printed product labels damage the image of the brand. With its diverse labels, quality designs, and materials, it appeals to all companies and brands. In particular, the labels on the clothes are visible for long periods of time and the labels stand out every time the clothes are worn. Labels are used for brands to create a unique identity and to showcase their products within the existing brand variety. If you are wondering what is the product label and what are its types, you have come to the right place. In this post, we will take a detailed look into the world of product labels. Let’s get started.
Product Labels: All You Need To Know
What is a Product Label?
Product labels are the information cards that contain the price, usage, weight, brand, and other features of the products. “What is a product label?” The question is one of the topics that companies are especially curious about.
The labels that should be on each product give information to the customers about the product. Labels are generally used by affixing on different types of packaging such as glass, plastic, metal, or even canvas prints at times.
Why are product labels important?
The main purpose of product labels is to direct consumers to the product and attract their attention. Product labels with a variety of uses make it easier to sell. It also increases the quality of products in the eyes of customers. In short, a product with a quality label is one step ahead of the others in the eyes of customers.
What does a product label do?
The product label convinces customers that your product meets the required qualifications. It is also possible to visually express what you want to convey to customers through labels. At this point, special labels can be used to keep the products separate from the existing variety. In addition, the financial value of the product is transferred to the customers through the label on it.
How should the product label be?
It is important for product labels to be produced from quality materials and to have a beautiful design to create a brand perception. Thus, a positive impression of the quality of the brand or company can be created in the mind of the customer. Product labels are also very advantageous in terms of creating a bond of trust between the brand or company with the customer.
10 Different Types of Product Labels
“What is a product label?” After answering the question, it is necessary to take a look at the product label examples and their features. There are many types of product labels produced according to the structure of the products, their area, and design features. Product labels are produced according to both the quality of the product to be used and the wishes of the brands and companies:
- Vellum Label
The surface of this type of label, which is produced with or without printing in desired sizes, is rough and porous. Due to its porous surface, it is quite permanent and durable. Vellum label, which is resistant to water, heat, and humidity, stands out with its matte appearance.
- Thermal Label
This type of label is printed directly on the paper without the use of ribbons with the heat technique. It has a very short shelf life due to its sensitivity to factors such as humidity, alcohol, and light. It is generally preferred as a market, greengrocer, butcher, delicatessen label. It is quite economical and practical to use.
- Coated Label
Glossy and smooth surfaces are more economical than the others. It provides moderate resistance to water, heat, humidity, and friction. Although it is suitable for long-term use, it is not suitable for writing with a pen.
- Silvermat Label
It offers quite a variety in terms of usage area. This type of label used in book and barcode labels has a matte and smooth surface. It should be stored at room temperature and in a humidity-free environment. In addition, it preserves its color feature for years on the surface it is attached. There is no problem such as bleeding in the adhesive.
- Metalized Label
The upper surface of this label is usually given a shiny appearance with metallic gray or gold gilding paint. The metalized label, which is moderately resistant to heat and temperature, has a non-tearing structure.
- Woven label
Types of woven labels, which are generally used in the textile field, make it possible to include more details. Labels using fine and good quality yarn are often preferred in clothing and accessories. It can be used for product promotion and advertising purposes.
- Print Label
This type of label is produced with the desired clarity and quality. Brands, sizes, logos and symbols are printed on all fabric types and satin. Printed labels are preferred for textile, accessories and product decoration.
- Transfer Label
This type of label, which minimizes the friction between the material and the skin, is ideal for sportswear products. It is also frequently used in baby clothing products. Details such as body, ingredients, washing instructions, manufacturer and brand can be easily transferred onto the product with the transfer label.
- Carton label
Cardboard labels, which can be preferred in many fields, especially in textile companies, are used to attract the attention of the buyer. In addition, it is preferred to provide many information such as size, brand, color, and warranty conditions. It generally has larger dimensions than other labels. Therefore, it is ideal for giving detailed information.
- Sticker Label
This type of label is usually made on coated papers and expresses the visual design very well. It has a more durable structure than normal papers. However, it is recommended to be used indoors rather than outdoors. In addition, adhesive sticker label types on the front surface are often preferred because they are more useful.
Product Label Usage Areas
“What is a product label?” As well as the question, the usage areas are among the questions that companies and brands want to know the answer to. Product labels vary. Product labels are used in all areas of food, beverage, personal care, pharmaceuticals, cleaning products and packaging:
- Labels are of great importance in terms of gaining trust in the textile industry. In order to gain this trust and ensure its continuity, the product should be introduced to the buyers in the best way, both in writing and visually.
- The main purpose of the labels used in the ready-made clothing industry is generally to inform the buyers about the raw material content of the product and to warn about the washing instructions. It is very important for the brand that these product labels that reach the users are understandable, ethical and complete.
- Product labels are used in all kinds of packaging. Labels that look aesthetically pleasing and promote the brand well are preferred for all plastic containers, water bottles, boxes, packages and similar products.
- Product labels are designed taking into account the packaging and content. It is also created by considering the surface of the packaging and the possible ambient conditions in which the product will be found.
- Product labels are often used in personal care products. It is necessary to use attractive labels in terms of consumer perception and the area where the product is used. It is important to increase the profitability of the product by making extraordinary and stylish designs with various printing techniques. Transparent or opaque labels are generally preferred for personal care products.
- Product labels used in the industrial field are often used in automotive, electronics, machinery and chemical industries, small household appliances and white goods products. Labels designed from strong and durable materials are preferred for such products. It is important to use a label that will comply with all kinds of severe conditions.
- The labels used in the pharmaceutical and health sector include the name of the product, its content, areas of use, various restrictions and warnings. Labels that do not wear out and do not deform during storage and shipment should be preferred. In addition, attention should be paid to error-free and print quality.
- Food labels usually contain information such as the conditions under which the product should be stored, its content, manufacturer and brand name. Labels printed for the food industry are specially prepared according to the design determined by the manufacturer and the shape of the product.
Needless to say, if you are an individual or a business that sells products of any tangible kind to consumers, you will need product labels in order to sell them. Armed with the knowledge in this post (and hopefully some more research that you do), you should be able to pick out the right kind of product label for your product. Don’t underestimate the power of a product label, it can actually go a long way in affecting your sales.